Teacher & Subject Coordinator Mathematics- Fulltime
The International School of The Hague is a highly successful, innovative and energetic semi-public school located in a state-of-the-art building in an area of natural beauty on the edge of the city of The Hague, near Kijkduin. The entire school currently has 1900 students and hosts over 99 nationalities with teachers from around the world. The school is divided into Primary and Secondary with a Principal for each section.
Currently we have a vacancy at Secondary School:
Teacher & Subject Coordinator Mathematics- Fulltime
Start Date: 6 March 2019
The International School of the Hague is looking for an excellent and enthusiastic IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) and Diploma Programme (DP) mathematics teacher and subject coordinator, which is a mid-level leadership position. The successful candidate will be able to inspire and motivate students and colleagues through their teaching and understanding of mathematics, as well as to lead the development and delivery of the curriculum in MYP 4 and 5 and in the DP.
The subject coordinators will be working as a team to ensure that an engaging learning experience is created that prepares students for the rigours of the new DP curriculum while allowing students the time and scope to investigate the use of mathematics in different contexts. The successful candidate will be an inspiring curriculum leader who is highly motivated and fully embraces the school's ethos. They will be committed to designing and delivering high quality learning experiences, which meet the needs of all students, regardless of their skills, attainment, and particular learning needs. Applicants must be willing to lead by example and take an active role in the development of the curriculum.
In view of the IB DP curriculum review, introducing an applied route (Mathematics: Applications and interpretation) and a pure route (Mathematics: Analysis and approaches), the mathematics department are looking for a specialist in applied mathematics to lead the development of a strong DP curriculum in this area and adapt the MYP curriculum to reflect the new prior learning requirements and fully prepare students for the two routes available in the DP.
The ideal candidate will have:
● a high quality degree in mathematics with a masters qualification in education
● substantial experience teaching MYP and DP, preferably at more than one level in the DP
● experience in creating new high quality units and assessment tasks
● experience in curriculum development and implementation
● experience mentoring teachers
● experience teaching applied mathematics: statistics and graph theory
● strong leadership skills
● good knowledge and understanding of using technology to improve students understanding of mathematics such as: Graphical display calculators, Geogebra, Desmos, etc.
● Are experienced and successful teachers and demonstrate enthusiasm for their subject/level. They are well acquainted with the IB MYP and DP and committed to the philosophy of these programmes. They actively support and promote whole school policies
● Report directly to Subject Area Leaders (SAL) and advise on the development of their specific subject
● Are present on inset days and Wednesday afternoons, and at other times to provide support and guidance to their subject team and liaise with other stakeholders, as necessary
● Meet with the SAL and the other subject coordinators (SCs) in their subject area on a regular basis and contribute to the successful running of the department; communicate/ meet with other SCs, SALs and the Deputy Heads Academic, as appropriate
● Lead, contribute to, maintain and monitor unit plans, assessment, teaching materials and other resources
● Oversee consistency and quality of teaching, learning, and assessment within their subject/level and take an active role in supporting and guiding their subject team members in these areas
● In conjunction with the SAL, lead, organise and monitor activities within their subject teams on inset days and Wednesday afternoons, and lead regular subject team meetings
● Play an active role in supporting new members of staff and guiding them in subject-specific matters (curriculum, assessment, use of IT etc.)
● Provide specific information for SALs with regards to matters of timetable, staffing and class sizes within their subject
● Communicate with parents and students as required on matters relevant to their subject
● Coordinate efforts within their subject to facilitate interventions to support students’ learning, including students of concern
● Help coordinate arrangements/ prepare materials for cover work in the event of an emergency
● Oversee organization and administration of internal exam materials in their subject
● Ensure correct completion of IB course work and meeting of IB and school deadlines and requirements
● Take responsibility for administration of placement tests, if applicable, and subject/ level changes
● You are invited to express your interest by sending your CV and an application letter to by firstname.lastname@example.org 19 th December 2018.
● Applicants who will meet the requirements will be invited for a job interview as soon as possible.